We all come up with reasons why we "can't" do something. We've heard it before: I don't have time, it's too challenging, what's the cost? Etc. At Plunge, we talk about our why a lot. For us, why = how. It's attitude adjustment, lifehack -- heck, it's a lifestyle.
Let's go over some of the myths and bust them so you can get started today.
Myth #1: It gets easier
- It doesn't actually, and that's a part of the benefit -- to get over the mental barrier. Our brains are wired to create short-cuts, go the easy route, and follow quick-fixes. Plunging everyday is a practice of going beyond thought-limitations and expanding comfort zones. Watch yourself go from "this sucks" to the relaxing stage during plunge and then feeling like this is one of the best natural drugs out there.
Myth #2: You'll catch a cold / Hypothermia on impact
- That's an old wives tale. There's no evidence proving you can catch a cold from cold exposure. As far as hypothermia goes, there can be a "too much, too soon" factor in cold exposure. However, you won't freeze to death on impact. We recommend plunging for 2-10 minutes. In our last blog, we offer tips for starting a routine, dosage and duration, and how to relax. Training your body, mind, and breath is key when plunging.
Myth #3: "I run cold / I can't plunge"
- We are calling BS! “Can't” is a limited mindset. Some people do “run cold” -- so to speak, you can start plunging at 55 degrees. In a world of ever-growing convenience, it’s imperative that we intentionally seek out things to challenge ourselves. Every time we challenge ourselves, we are stronger, more resilient, think better/faster, and become more adaptable. If you truly want to change your life, you'll need to challenge your life.
Myth #4: "I can't afford it"
- We believe health is an investment. "If you don't make time for your health, you will make time for your illness." We've all heard that before. A healthy life is a healthy future. At plunge, we have $139/mo financing options. We want you to have a plunge so you can reap the rewards of its benefits: energy boosts (norepinephrine levels are 5x higher in people who regularly plunge), lowers inflammation, teaches stress management by controlling parasympathetic nervous systems, overall mood enhancer, and much more.
Myth #5: "I don't have time, too busy"
- Excuses are like armpits and they probably stink. Cold plunging takes 5min or less. Instead of saying, "I'm too busy" -- take note of what you are actually paying attention to, is it intentional presence or tail-chasing everyday? Our co-founder, Ryan, gets out of bed every morning and goes straight into the plunge. He says, "if I don't do it right when I get up, I won't do it at all. The excuses will creep in. Moreover, by plunging for 5 minutes first thing I notice is I’m actually buying time. I’m more energized and clear. It’s as if I’m slowing down time." Discipline keeps us honest. He also says, "plunging is the best cup of coffee out there."
Whatever is keeping you from your health is getting in the way of living your fullest potential. We believe in doing hard things, seeking discomfort (as our friends from @yestheory would say), and taking charge of our life. Plunge therapy can be about getting real and honest, by busting our own myths.